“We live in an age of modern, high tech medicine……….but for all of our advances there are still huge gaps in modern medicine where patients fall through the cracks into chronic illness. Naturopathic Medicine holds the answer to many of those problems and is an essential part of the solution to today’s chronic health issues”.
The Principles of Naturopathic Medicine:
- First Do No Harm – primum non nocere
- The Healing Power of Nature – vis medicatrix naturae
- Discover and Treat the Cause- tolle causam
- Treat the Whole Person – tolle totum
- The Physician is a Teacher – docere
- Prevention is the best “cure” – praevenir
Naturopathic Medicine is a branch of licensed physicians that have undergone rigorous training at naturopathic accredited medical institutions and have been board certified by the N.A.B.N.E. (North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners).
Naturopathic Physicians are thoroughly trained in the biomedical sciences, diagnosis, and conventional treatment of general health conditions. They have specialty training that emphasizes an integrated systems approach that helps them to understand how we function as “holistic humans”: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
Natural Therapies that a Naturopathic Physician may employ:
- Identifying and removing food allergies/ food sensitivities
- Prescribing anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, and/or blood sugar controlling diets
- Identifying problematic environmental exposure and educating the patient on how to avoid further exposure and how to detoxify from current body burden of chemical substances
- Helping a patient to attain optimum body composition to decrease risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and dementia
- Helping patients to improve digestion which has positive influence on nutritional status, energy levels, and performance
- Counseling patients on high risk lifestyle choices and lifestyle issues that may be particularly hazardous to the patient’s unique genetic disease tendencies
- Performing functional genetic testing to determine what diseases a patient may be more vulnerable to, or what substances may be more harmful to that particular patient
- Performing functional medicine testing such as gastrointestinal, organic acids, neurotransmitter, or cytokine analysis to determine a person’s functional biochemistry so that informed intervention can be employed before organic disease sets in
Naturopathic physicians are specialists in the use of natural medicines: plant compounds, nutrients, natural hormones, therapeutic diets, and many other natural therapies that have positive influence on the patient’s ability to prevent and recover from ill health.